Albion Online

This is for general chat about things not related to The Exiled.
Theomancer

Albion Online

Postby Theomancer » 23 Nov 2015, 16:52

Hey guys,

So, I saw Alex's post on the Crowfall forums, mentioning that he's been a backer for both Crowfall and Albion Online:
http://community.crowfall.com/index.php ... ntry235499

And it got me to thinking -- what if we started a guild together in Albion Online? Maybe even called it <Das Tal> or something (but not necessarily). I've really appreciated the Das Tal community, and getting to know the handful of "core" people who are frequently playing during tests, posting on the forums, etc. Granted, we wouldn't be some enormous guild or something, but that's a bonus in my opinion.

Anyway, guilds are just communities of gamers, at the end of the day. And I've definitely appreciated rubbing shoulders with you all. So I just throw it out there as a possible idea!

I will say this, though. I've been so spoiled by the amazing WASD, skill-based combat of Das Tal that I'm really, really worried that Albion Online's combat will feel terribly lackluster by comparison. Thoughts?

Emissary

Re: Albion Online

Postby Emissary » 23 Nov 2015, 17:34

I haven't had a chance to play AO yet, although I am considering the option of harassing Alex for his account details so I can take a look :D

Regarding getting a crew together, I think it is a great idea. Always better to check out these games with an ally, at least in my view. Hopefully a few people haven't jumped in with another crowd yet :)

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 23 Nov 2015, 18:50

Sounds good but I'm already embedded in a clan that I don't have to manage. But hit me up when you got something up and running, wil join up for some PvP.

Theomancer

Postby Theomancer » 29 Nov 2015, 22:38

So how're you liking Albion so far, Alex?

mysticfil
Vanguard Supporter

Postby mysticfil » 29 Nov 2015, 22:56

For me it's unplayable and it's been 3 days without a proposed fix after i contacted the support, so albion is a no go for me.

Been a week since i asked got an answer that they sent my problem to the QA team.
Mystic
The never-sleeping

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 30 Nov 2015, 01:32

Theomancer wrote:So how're you liking Albion so far, Alex?

Kinda .... but kinda not. If you buy into the main tenets of their game design (EVE Online but in a fantasy setting for pc and mobile) then it's a very well developed title with impressive macro game mechanics. But if you hate grind and want to PvP a lot then it's not your game. I've spent a lot of hours on it for the last week and I've spent waaay too much farming mobs instead of PvPing. There are many systems in place that prevent PvP and force you to gear up and that's not really fun TBH. And I'm not even gearing up a whole clan, the people I am playing with are spending a ton of time farming resources - and that is about the most boring thing you can imagine.

Tl;dr: Impressive technical feat but not my game.

Theomancer

Postby Theomancer » 01 Dec 2015, 03:21

Mystic, that really sucks a lot, man. What's the nature of the problem?

@Alex -- Yeah, that's a good point. Your game is much more combat-centric. And now that I think about it, that's a really fantastic differentiating point in your game. I remember that from your marketing materials and KS campaign: a game for people with a schedule, with a life, where people can hop on and have fun, without endless grind before the actual fun, etc.

One thing I learned from ArcheAge (sigh) is that I thought I hated grinding, but I actually didn't mind it as much as I thought I did. Maybe it's from all those years playing EverQuest back in the day.

I think there's a lot of room for both types of games. I've been trying out Brawlhalla, and am shocked at how instantaneously and fun that game boots up and is. It's like instant adrenaline, pure fun. But I also like grinding resources in Albion with Star Trek on my second monitor, too ;-P.

mysticfil
Vanguard Supporter

Postby mysticfil » 01 Dec 2015, 04:07

What we had in das tal at the beginning (desync-rollback) 10 time worst AND a disconnect between 1-10 minute, cannot log back during 1 minute.
Mystic
The never-sleeping

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 01 Dec 2015, 11:38

Theomancer wrote:One thing I learned from ArcheAge (sigh) is that I thought I hated grinding, but I actually didn't mind it as much as I thought I did. Maybe it's from all those years playing EverQuest back in the day.

I totally understand that feeling. Somtimes it's really nice to just turn off your head and grind a couple hundred mobs, farm 1000 wood, feed your chicken or match three colors. But I don't want this to be a forced prerequisite in order to have PvP.

Theomancer

Postby Theomancer » 09 Dec 2015, 03:15

Still enjoying Albion Online quite a lot. Anyone else playing?

Return to “Off Topic & Other Games”